Monday, March 17, 2008

Eireann go Brach


This is the cake I spend Saturday (and a bit of Sunday) making. I am quite pleased with the result! I need to work on the icing consistency, as I would sometimes have icing that was too thin, or too thick, which isn't good for piping. I unfortunately had a bit of cracking on the icing but I covered that up with some shamrocks. Also, the cake slanted slightly.

Despite these flaws, I really think that this is one of the most beautiful cakes I've made. I just love daffodils! (Wouldn't it be cool if I could make these?) Last year I made an awesome St. Patrick's Day-type cake for Katie's birthday. I don't have any digital pictures of it, but it was better than this one, I think. (A fondant leprechaun and a candy rainbow adorned that cake.)

I am just so glad that this cake turned out as well as I had hoped. Especially since all I knew going into it was that I wanted daffodils, and the base icing was going to be light green. I just came up with everything as I went along.

The transport to school went well, and I safely carried the cake to its recipient. I think she liked it. ;) One of the assistance principals at school also commented on it. How awesome?! That really buoyed my spirits before math class! :)

No cakes for a while after this one. Just kidding! I still have Katie's cake and some cupcakes for this week, so stay tuned, and happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone!

11 comments:

queen of everything said...

the cake turned out wonderful. any time you need anything just ask :)

Shan said...

You did an incredible job on that cake. Good for you.

Anonymous said...

Wow I wasn't aware you were this talented in the culinary arts. These are quite professional looking.

reliv4life said...

Wow!! Just beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

I love it and wish that I could have a piece!

Kelley said...

nice work!

Danielle said...

awesome cake!! =)

Cynthia said...

Amazing! I didn't realize this was done by a teenager. Good for you for having a REAL passtime which will bring you something in life. You are very good at it. We ladies had a try at cake decorating and it's not easy.

retrobellewife said...

Kelsie, I love the cake. The shamrocks are cute and those flowers are so neat. Leaning or not, who cares. That cake is adorable! Actually, the other day my mother decided to make a chocolate sheet cake w/ chocolate icing and pecans (everything but the pecans were homemade). As she poured the icing on the cake, we all began rushing around the kitchen in a frenzy as the icing began rushing over the side. It turned out, that she had put the cake on a potholder I had made for her for Christmas a few years ago. After being washed several times, it no longer sits level. Well, Daddy picked on me pretty good, but the cake was delicious. Needless to say, we are all chocolated out for awhile! Cute cake, can't wait to see the next one. :)

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Wow! That cake is amazing. Great job.

Cheri said...

Great job. Love the shamrocks on the cake!!!