Friday, August 31, 2012

Lambeth



One of the best things I did all summer was to take Kathleen Lange's Lambeth 101 class. It was such an amazing class.

First of all, I love the style of Lambeth cakes. I think I always have, for as long as I've known what it was. And while I did try to teach myself a little of the basics, especially after listening to Kathleen's interview on Cake Fu, I knew I was going to need to take her class for myself.

I drove nine hours to New Orleans-- during hurricane season, no less-- to take the first two days of her four day class (my mom was with me too, and she couldn't be out of town long enough for me to take the four day class), but for only two days, Kathleen packed so much information into them! She was full of stories and history and helpful hints and encouragement. Did I mention it was an amazing class?

I was pretty nervous at first, but by the end of the class, I was really getting into the swing of this piping thing. I need to keep practicing, of course, and hopefully one day I'll get to move on to to her 201 class, and then the 301 and 401 classes. I thought I'd get the chance to take the 201 class because it was originally cancelled when Hurricane Isaac came through NOLA, but unfortunately, due to my (over)work(ed) schedule, I wasn't able to make it. But I still have my sights set on taking the rest of Kathleen's classes in the future. She's an amazing teacher, and there's so much more for me to learn!

No comments: