Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Dinosaur Cake


The Dinosaur Cake (not to be confused with the Dinosaur Train, for all you moms and dads and little kids out there) was my gift to my now 16 year old sister, Katie.

She designed the cake for me about a week ago, dinosaurs and a pink and green cake. It took me a while to figure out a design, but I realized that Katie could probably draw what she wanted better than I could read her mind. =)

The cake is confetti cake, I used a white cake recipe with 2 tablespoons of sprinkles (I used the star sprinkles, not the little round ones or the rectangular ones) per recipe. The cake was pretty big so I actually doubled the recipe.

I made a mocha buttercream icing, per Katie's request, and covered everything with marshmallow fondant, which Adam thinks tastes just like marshmallow. He really liked that part, but he's not a fan of mocha, so he just ate the fondant off of his piece of cake.

The fondant was a lot easier to put on the smaller cake, but for the larger cake it started sticking and tearing. You might be able to tell from the pictures, but I tried to cover up all the rips with the little gumpaste dinos.

And speaking of dinos, the ones on top of the cake are really wrinkly, which is unfortunate. I guess my animal sculpting skills aren't as good as I thought they were, but hey, real dinosaurs were wrinkly, right?

No, those aren't dinosaur eggs, they're coffee cups from Starbucks! ;)

A close up on one of the pterodactyl.

Ta-Da! My first fondant-covered cake. Maybe it's not perfect, but for my first try, I'm really proud of myself. Who knows how much more awesome the next one will be! :D

9 comments:

hillary said...

I love it! Good job!

Kelsie said...

Thank you!! Sorry I didn't bring you any cupcakes D:

hillary said...

Ah, it's okay. You'll make it up when you make the Harry Potter castle cake.

Cherry said...

Cute - I love the pink & green colour combo

Kelsie said...

Thanks Cherry!

hillary said...

You should sketch out my cake and put it up here. And the Hogwarts one. :D

Kelsie said...

Well... OK :-)

Denver drug crimes attorneys said...

I just pass your blog! but i love it in the first eyes!

Anonymous said...

i love the cake! Its looks awsome