Friday, June 12, 2009

The Graduation Cake


So, I finally made my graduation cake.  It is, thus far, the biggest cake that I have ever made, and I really liked it.  Well, I wasn't entirely happy with it, though.  I definitely procrastinated and I feel that shows with the piping work and in all the little details.  Everyone said they loved it, but I was much more critical.

I suppose that if I had actually made the little gumpaste pieces 2 to 3 days in advance, as per directed, instead of 12 hours before (or less), then this cake would've been a lot better.
For example, I wouldn't have rushed around putting the bottom boarder on (I am ashamed of how sloppy it is) and the calculator would actually have calculator buttons on it, like a "+" or "=" or even "0" and the gavel would've looked like a real gavel (and I even had one to model from!).  And I probably would've made a few more little pieces to better display the 13 years I spent in public school, instead of just 4 (calculator, gavel, book, medal).

But I am a procrastinator and I think it shows in my work.  So before my parents go rushing off to send my portfolio to Duff Goldman or Colette Peters (I'm seriously nowhere near that good; my parents are crazy), I'm going to need to learn better time management.  And not wait until the last minute to plan the cake; this fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants cake design thing is just too stressful and seriously cuts into my sleeping time.

The cake was overall a success, though, even if the first red velvet cake I made fell apart (cake balls!) and I basically covered the entire kitchen in red dye.  (My hands are still pink, to be honest.)

The recipes I used:
  • Colette Peter's White Cake (I did not taste this cake, but I'm told it was tasty) and
  • Grandmother Paula's (Deen) Southern Red Velvet Cake (which was super dense; I wonder if self-rising flour would be better than cake flour? But I'm scared to change the recipe...)  This was an amazingly delicious recipe, and everyone (myself included) thought it was awesome.
  • My buttercream recipe-- the BIG batch.  I filled up a 2-quart tupperwear pitcher of icing! :-)  I still have some left over which is currently sitting in the freezer awaiting further use, of course.

I also made cupcakes with my previous school colors. :-)

Previous Post >> 

7 comments:

jcscraphappy said...

I think this looks great and how wonderful to be able to make your own cake.
jennie

Tracy P. said...

SUPER cute!!! Congratulations, Kelsie! You have accomplished far more than beautiful confections, I am sure. God bless you in the next chapter...

Miz Dinah said...

Girl, you rock!

SC said...

Looks tasty! Maybe you could check out my cake:

theworldsgreatestcake.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Merrilee said...

Hi,

I stumbled across your blog as I was looking for ideas for my husband's birthday cake. He wants chocolate frosting, which is a little challenging to my creative brain cell. Anyhow, I thought I'd share a link to my recent cake decorating triumph: a guitar cake (you'll have to scroll down to it, but I think you'll like it.)

http://merrileesmusings.blogspot.com/2009/05/200th-episode.html

Your cakes look great and I bet you could easily get paid to do it! Hope your father's day cake turns out better than expected.

Sincerely,
Merrilee Stevenson

Anonymous said...

VIOLENCES+VOL :
Ceci est une tentative de gros scandale public parce que ça calme pas mal les gros connards en attendant de trouver enfin un avocat qui réglera ce problème de non respect de mes droits les plus élémentaires et je le conseille à chacun qui peut avoir des ennuis avec ce gros connard de sarkozy ou sa clique de clowns de flics minables : je suis donc en train de régler un petit problème du genre détail avec cette grosse tache de si peu président de la république Française, en lui envoyant un avocat pour mises sous surveillance illégales, lynchage numérique inspiré de bonnes vieilles méthodes qui ne déplairaient pas au ku klux klan, lynchage qui n'a mobilisé personne sur le web ou dans la presse et plagiat, par une grosse pouffe, vulgaire et ridicule et qui passe à la télé, de mes petits textes web.

Quant a sarkozy, s'il n'aime pas le web, et s'il n'aime pas la rue qui sait, la preuve, très bien se défendre, qu'il la quitte !

Unknown said...

The graduation cake looks great! NEVER point out your flaws, no one would have noticed :) it looks great!