Thursday, June 4, 2009

Confetti Cake for Kids

With all the chaos that has been going on in my life, from getting a new oven to wrapping up 13 years of public school and finally graduating, I completely forgot that I wrote a review for Elisa Strauss' book Confetti Cakes for Kids.

So, for your reading pleasure, I now present to you my take on a book that is filled with some of the most amazing cakes/cookies/cupcakes by the inspiring Elisa Strauss (who also has a blog, by the way.  You should check it out for more cakey goodness).

First of all, let's start with the pictures.  Maybe because I'm a kid at heart (being only 17, after all) or maybe because the book is written about kid's cakes, but this book is filled with some very colorful pictures, which is always a plus for me.  I can get a little bored reading pictureless cookbooks, but I didn't have to worry about that in CCK.  And speaking of kids, my little brother enjoyed looking through the book with me, so it certainly appeals to everyone young and old.  Hopefully he doesn't expect me to make anything quite so fancy and flawless yet!

You think Confetti Cakes for Kids has an adorable cover?  You can't judge a book by its cover, but in this case, that's OK, because there are lots of charming pictures between the covers.  Like the QuinceaƱera cake (I wish I had a QuinceaƱera) and the ice cream cupcakes and the beach pail cupcakes and the iPod cake and the...  Alright, alright, you get the point.  But talk about looking too good to eat (that's actually cake?!)... and these are just the photos!

So once I finally finished gushing over the gorgeous, flawless pictures, I got down to the meat and potatos of the book and started reading.

I am an avid reader and I was not disappointed.  If you've never decorated a cake before, then this book is definitely helpful:  there's all kinds of tips for beginners, as well some tools that you might find useful (like a KitchenAide mixer, maybe?).  And if, like me, you've been doing this for a while, don't worry, you'll find something helpful, too.  Like how to cover a round cake in fondant, something that seems daunting but the instructions are clear and (of course!) the pictures help, too.

Needless to say, there are plenty of recipes, like Confetti Cake's most requested cake flavor: chocolate.  (Mmmm. I would request it too.) And I seriously want to try peanut butter buttercream.  If you, like I, get hungry after reading a recipe book, then your tummy definitely will be rumbling after you read through these recipes.

I could go on and on about the merits of this particular book.  If you've checked out the Confetti Cakes blog (or maybe you're lucky enough to check out the actual bakery in NY) then you know what I'm talking about.  However, I don't want to bore you with my review when you can just read the book yourself: it will be much more satisfying, I'm sure.

So there you have it.  My humble little homage to Confetti Cakes for Kids.  Maybe my review has inspired you to go out and buy the book yourself, or at least look for it at the library, and you won't be disappointed.  But maybe you'd like a free copy...?  Good news!  I can give away 5 copies of CCK to a few lucky Cakes by Kelsie readers who live in the US (no PO Boxes; sorry for any inconvience).  How, you may ask?  Just leave a quick comment sharing your favorite childhood cake and next Saturday I'll randomly choose 5 readers to receive a copy.  If you win, I'll get in touch with you, so make sure you leave your e-mail address too.

P.S. I'll have pictures up of my graduation cake soon, if everything goes smoothly.  Thanks for your patience!

7 comments:

Carrie Haughey said...

My favorite cake growing up was just a sheet cake that my mom bought at the store, but it had a Minnie Mouse head decorated on it! It was fabulous! I was maybe 4 or 5, but I remember wanting my mom to just cut out the middle of the cake where Minnie's head was, because that was the piece I wanted, Minnie's head, all to myself! She wouldn't do it, I was a very disappointed birthday girl! but it was still a delicous cake, chocolate with white frosting, yum!

jcscraphappy said...

First i want to say im excited i found your blog. Im started my cake classes this week and was looking and browsing blogs. congrats on graduation. and im thrilled to have a chance at a book, this would be my first official cake book :) that would be awesome!!!
My blog is for my papercrafting but i look forward to adding some yummy crafting to my blog in the future.
Thanks for the chance and sharing.
Blessings
jennie
cambogroup@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

I have been a reader of your blog for awhile. Very impressed with your abilities and love for cakes as young as you are! Keep it up and maybe you will be the next Cake boss.
I had many, many favorite cakes when I was young. All were sheet cakes with designs drawn in icing! But loved them. My mom had a woman she would just take our bday invitaions into. I once had a Betty Boop cake, but since I have blond hair and blue eyes--- Betty Boop on my cake also did!!!
Keep up all the good work!
My email is kellyaubuchon@aol.com
Kelly

Connie said...

My favorite cake was of Strawberry Shortcake. It was a sheet cake that had the design drawn on the icing. I would love this book. You are so generous and talented! Congrats on the graduation!

Frostedbetty said...

My favorite cake growing up was my Mom's poppyseed cake. Every year she still makes me one for my birthday. Its iced with whipped cream and just unbelievably delicious. Talking about it makes me now crave it which is ok since my birthday is in 5 days :)

Great blog by the way!

Rafael Logrono said...

Hey Kelsie!!!

Well... I'm loving the blog and that book. My favorite childhood cake... would have to be my ma's dominican style cake. She not only makes a living out of this cake, but it got me into the world of cake designing. Congrats on graduating! (I have 2 more years)!

-Rafael

Rafael1812@gmail.com

Joanna said...

When I was young I really didn't care what the cake looked like, as long as it tasted great! But I know most kids are fussy so its important that it looks cool. Keep up the tasty work and maybe you will be the next Jane Asher!