Sunday, November 9, 2008

It's the Holiday Season

Has anyone else noticed that on November 1st (and in some places, earlier), everyone has begun to advertise Christmas?  And by everyone, I mean all the stores and businesses, like Wal-Mart, Coke, Sears, etc.  Everywhere is red and green.  I went to Wal-Mart last week and realized that I was humming along to Christmas tunes not just because of the festive decorations but because they were playing music on the loudspeakers!

Now, I love Christmas; it's my favorite time of year.  Despite the absolutely freezing temperatures, Christmas time makes me happy.  But not for the same reasons that Wal-Mart would want me to think.  It's not buying out their entire store that I love, but the atmosphere: the music, the love, the happy little kids, not being in school, etc.  So even though I'm loving all the little holiday reminders, it's really starting to annoy me when Christmas is associated with shopping.  Because that's just not right.

What I will associate Christmas-- and most holidays-- with is baking!  However, I'm going to reign in my urge to make little fondant Santas and snowmen for just a little while longer.  Right now, I have Thanksgiving to worry about.  Talk about some baking...

So as I'm planning my dessert scheming, I remember Iron Cupcake.  Last month I didn't participate in ICE because, well, I forgot.  I was sick, remember.  This month, though, I plan on making something good, and making something within the next 2 weeks.  I'm just not sure what yet.  The theme for November is Cranberries!

I do have a list of possible ingredients...
  • pecans
  • walnuts
  • macadamia nuts
  • almonds
  • caramel
  • marshmallows
  • butter cream sauce
  • orange juice glaze
  • molasses
  • pears
  • zucchini
  • coconut
  • pumpkin
  • apple
  • white chocolate
  • peaches
  • ginger
  • cheesecake
  • lemon
  • strawberries
  • orange
  • cream cheese icing
  • chocolate
  • chocolate chips
  • white chocolate icing
  • pineapple
So, based on that list, I'm going to make some cupcakes including one or more of those ingredients.  But not all of them.  That would be a little... excessive. ;-)

While I'm thinking and baking and humming along to "Let It Snow" (even as I wish that it doesn't get anywhere near cold enough to snow), I hope that all of you are getting into the holiday season as well.  Because we have a lot of fun baking ahead of us! :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry...zucchini?


Let me know how that works out for you...

-H