Sunday, March 9, 2008

Smile!

Alright, so I didn't find my camera yet, but I decided to take pictures of the cookies with my camera phone before we ate all the leftovers (we already delivered the cookies to their intended destination). They are really tasty.

I used Alice's cookie icing recipe from Cake Central and Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix- three bags' worth! For the face features, I used melted semi sweet chocolate chips and a #2 round tip. (I just melted a dash of veggie oil and a handful of the chips in my homemade double boiler: a metal bowl on top of a pot half-filled with water. Just don't let the water boil, or you'll have a mess.)

On an aside, at every grocery store I ever go to, Betty Crocker has the monopoly for sugar cookie mix. Surely Publix should have their own store brand?! We need a little competition to drive the prices down. ;) Sure I could make my own sugar cookies, but in the past I've never had luck with that, and I didn't want to experiment with the 99 cookies that I made this time.

My brother thinks that the cookies look like the Wal-Mart smiley face, but I think there are some marked differences. Like the fact that they are cookies and delicious and have chocolate on them. :)

Anyway, this is how I spent pretty much all of yesterday, after being tired of playing in the snow. Unfortunately, because of my lack of camera, I didn't get any pictures. But I had fun until I decided I was too cold. Thankfully, the oven was warm!

18 comments:

Joeff said...

cool...wish i could have that.

Syngnathidae said...

so simple and too cute

A Little Diddy said...

Despite taking the photo with your phone, your cookies still look delicious! Yum.

Somtirtha said...

So nice cookies you have made!!!

Anonymous said...

I like your blog but your template kinda disappoints me. You should upgrade to something more "fitting" - from somewhere like http://freetemplates.blogspot.com/ or
http://www.suckmylolly.com/

I look forward to seeing more of your baking adventures!

Cheri said...

I stumbled across your blog and had to tell how much I like it. You are a talented 16 year old. I also am a self taught decorator. I did take one class at Michael's to learn how to make THE ROSE, but KUDO's to you. You learned that on your own as well!!!

Chris Kauffman said...

your cakes are great, wow! I am impressed.

Mom of 3 said...

The smiley cookies look great!!

Keep up the good work!

www.funwiththreekids.blogspot.com

chica40208 said...

they look yummy

Anonymous said...

99 cookies? wow, must have taken some time and patience! i know what you mean about sugar cookies. i've tried quite a few from-scratch recipes and they never turn out quite the way i'd like. never have used a box mix, though.

reliv4life said...

They do look kinda like the walmart smile...but taste better I am sure! 99 cookies, no small feat! yea for you!!

Sammy said...

I think they look very tasty and after seeing them I need some chocolate!

Anonymous said...

Good on you!!

DooDoo said...

CAKE, COOKIES,PIE
I love them all,do you really have no qualifications? because the cakes seem very proffesional.

www.dogwalkerinbournemouth-delilah123.blogspot.com

Kelsie said...

99 cookies certainly took up an entire Saturday to make!

Thank you to all for all of the kind comments! They are much appreciated!

Anonymous said...

I wanna eat 'em... ^^
Aside from how good you make smiley cookies and roses on cakes, I hope I can see you make a super beautiful wedding cake ^^

Anonymous said...

Not only do they look fantastic, but they certainly tasted delicious!

retrobellewife said...

Wow, they sound delicious and they look precious. I don't think I have ever had a cookie iced with melted chocolate. Yum! I don't have a digital camera, so most of the pictures I take are done with my phone. How did you get them downloaded to the computer, though? I could really use that trick!