Wednesday, January 2, 2008

This lady is amazing!

This lady has skill! And she has a nice Scottish accent too. =) I looked at her website, which only reaffirmed what I think about her skill level. When she makes a gum paste rose, she makes it look easy. As I watched the video, I though: I could do that! It looks much simpler than a buttercream or royal icing rose, which, although pretty, still look a bit sad when I make them.

(Ew, fuzzy picture, sorry!!)

I would love to get the gumpaste kit that Wilton makes. Michael's sells them for $20, but I have a 50% off coupon, dropping the price down to $10. If only I could get a ride out to the shopping center where Michael's is located, I'd be in business. Did I mention that my grandparents gave me gumpaste as part of my Christmas gifts? Probably not since I haven't posted since before Christmas. All I need now are the tools (and the practice!) and I can be a gumpaste flower queen! ...Or at least try to be one!

1 comment:

Honey Bee said...

A long time ago, my mom used to make roses out of frosting and mini marshmallows. She'd place a marshmallow on a pick, then use the smallest teaspoon she could find to smear frosting onto the marshmallow.

The shape of the spoon made the frosting petals curve out slightly, much in the same way this lady in the video uses a boning stick and fluffs her gumpaste.

When I was a kid, I tried making roses for my mudpies using mud, the same way my mom used frosting on marshmallows. It was easier for me to just go get a real rose. : )

Your whole blog is delightful. I am happy to see someone as young as you taking a keen interest in cakes.

Keep up the great work and best wishes.