Thursday, August 9, 2007

My Sweet Sixteen



This cake just wants to make me sigh. So many factors, it seems, were working against me on this day. Don't get me wrong! I loved my sixteenth birthday. And the cake tasted delicious.

It's just that... I had such high hopes for this cake. Maybe that was my problem: I put the cake up on a pedestal before I even made it. No, no, that wasn't the problem. Poor time management and chronic procrastination is my problem. I didn't bake the cake until 10pm the night before and I decorated it that very morning.

That means, no time for a crumb coat, and what was I even thinking! not even trying to smooth out the icing. The cake was lopsided (I purposely tried to take the picture at an angle to hide that), and I should've known that the August humidity of my Georgia hometown would've killed the fondant tiara. Alas, no luster dust, either.

The cake I had planned was fit for a princess (moi), with absolutely no flaws. Obviously, I didn' quite fulfill that goal. However, it was still a beautiful cake, and it had character. I look forward to actually trying to get my cake close to perfection next year, and I already have some plans brewing...


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beatiful cake!!

Karen said...

It's a great cake...silly wabbit.

Miss Chaos said...

that is complete awesomeness in cake-form! Nice one : )

retrobellewife said...

Kelsie, I love your cake. The tiara is beautiful! I can't even begin to imagine how you made it.I know what you mean about 16th birthdays, though. While I've not practiced in cake decorating, yet, I have always loved throwing parties. My mother let me decorate the majority of my 16th birthday. While I loved it and think the decorating was pretty good, I will always think of what I could have done better. My birthday is also in August and I, too, live in the south. I figured my friends and I would spend the majority of the party in our pool, but funnily enough we probably spent a couple of hours at most, leaving a lot of time unplanned.
On the bright side, if we thought everything we did was perfect, we'd never get any better. :)

Anonymous said...

Just passing through looking for ideas. You've got talent girl! The tiera was beautiful. Keep doing cakes. The more you do the better you will get. Who knows, maybe a few years from now you will have your own bakery!