Thursday, July 30, 2015

Rain, Rain, Go Away


If you haven't noticed from browsing my Instagram page, I've been on a sugar flower kick lately. I'm not sure what exactly inspired it, except that I really wanted to decorate something, and I had all these cutters that I never use. So, sugar flowers it is! (Plus I'm kind of procrastinating on that competition cake I need to do for September. I'm terrible about that sort of thing!)

Here we have pictured is the cymbidium orchid, which I still have trouble spelling. It's probably my favorite flower that I've done so far.

I always like to take photos of my flowers outside on my balcony/porch/lanai/patio, because natural sunlight makes for the best photos (and I am shooting on a two-year-old cell phone camera, so I need all the help I can get!!) but the problem is, IT WON'T STOP RAINING.

Do you know how hard it is to snap an Instagram-worthy pic when you're dodging raindrops the whole time?? The roof of my balcony leaks, so I was seriously standing out there trying to find the one spot on my table that wasn't in the path of raindrops.

Luckily, my delicate little sugar flower avoided any catastrophe, and I was able to get him back inside to safety. In case you didn't know, sugar flowers basically start dissolving in water (You've seen that episode of the Magic School Bus, right?), and I didn't want all my hard work to go to waste like that! (I've wasted enough petals accidentally snapping them in half; I don't need mother natures' help!)

But I think if my biggest struggle with these sugar flowers is the rain, then I'm doing a pretty good job with them. Plus, I've got a nice little indoor garden going on right now, which is pretty cheery even when it's so gloomy outside!


No comments: