Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Bittersweet Nostalgia

Let's take a moment to reflect on Where Kelsie Was two and half years ago...

So I wrote this in December 2012:
It's amazing how frustrating life can get, and even when you think you're doing the right thing with your life, you can get all turned around and confused about where you're actually headed.
I graduated college back in April (whoo hoo!) and while that was certainly an exciting time for me, and definitely the biggest accomplishment of my life, it all seems so far away now. I moved back home right after graduation and started a part-time job at a bakery I had worked at for the past two summers. The part-time job I had hoped would turn into a full-time job never materialized, so I got a second part-time job at a local grocery store.
I didn't think I would like working in a grocery store bakery, and sometimes I don't. Sometimes when I have to stand there and make 16 identical carrot cakes all in a row, it gets a little boring. After figuring out how to make the cake the first time, the challenge just disappears. Now, when I get to make the birthday cakes, those character sheet cakes with the crazy airbrushing all over it? There's a challenge. Sometimes the designs are a little bizarre, and I'm always conscious of Cake Wrecks when I'm working on them. My manager is an amazing person, she's very personable and sweet, but she will also be the first to let you know not to cross her. I really admire her and her leadership abilities. And when she says to me that I've got talent, I know that she means it and she's not just saying that to be nice, and that means a lot to me.
Even though I've got great managers and co-workers (seriously, they make me love going to work), and even though I was surprised at how much I enjoyed making grocery store cakes (and have I mentioned that I've practiced my buttercream roses so much that they actually look like buttercream roses?!), I know I'm not going to work there forever. Maybe I'm just scared of being in one place for too long, but I honestly cannot see myself working there forever. Which is probably a good thing, that I have my sights set on something higher.
The problem is, I just don't know what that is yet.
I do know that I need to keep on continuing my education. Like the Lambeth class I took back in August (how I wish I could've taken the second part of the class this month! Too bad I was working two jobs and couldn't take the time...

I never finished the post, and it's been sitting in my draft folder... But I think 2012 Kelsie was on to something that 2015 Kelsie needed to be reminded of. Sometimes your journey has some weird-o twists and turns, but I remain optimistic that it will all work out in the end. As long as I can keep taking Lambeth classes.

But in the meantime, here's a picture of some homemade cinnamon rolls!


No comments: