Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Fun New Toys Courtesy of eBay!

After I took my last Wilton class, I was in a bit of a cake decorating fervor. I wanted all of the shiny new toys that make cake decorating easier and more fun: the gumpaste shoe molds, the cake ball roller, the hundreds of petal dusts, flower cutters, and veiners required to make uber-life-like sugar flowers. (I realize that gumpaste flowers is probably the most preferred term that I've heard, but I like the sound of sugar flowers better: it sounds prettier, more elegant...tastier.)

Turns out, I'm an underemployeed recent college grad who just bought a new car and is literally living in her parents' basement, so  I can't actually afford any of that.

But what can I afford? eBay! I found tons of discounted supplies there, and bought myself lots of pretty new toys to play with. I'm most excited (for the moment) about the hydrangea cutters, because I can't get my Wilton hydrangeas to look pretty! :( I guess I'm not impressing them correctly, but they just look flat and un-life-like. (Not literally flat, since I hung them upside down to try and they are curved nicely...but they just don't have a lot of dimension to them otherwise.) I've yet to dust them, so maybe that will help.



Back to the new cutters! They are plunger cutters, which means they impress a pattern (in this case, the veins in the petals) on the gumpaste after they've been cut out. Excellent! It saves me a whole step in the process. Back when I was making Ben and Crystal's wedding cake, I used the rose leave cutters and they turned out fabulously.

The other cutters I bought were ivy leaves, snowflakes, and butterflies. I was just trying to go for a variety of cutters that I think I'll use frequently, or that I've needed in the past.



The funny part of this story is that my parents didn't know that I had ordered all these cutters on the internet, so when the packages started rolling in, my mom was a little concerned about why a package with "mold" in it had arrived on our front door. Oh, Mom, not that kind of mold! :)

3 comments:

Jen said...

You just gave me a great little idea. It's a little earlier than planned, but I guess it's time to put those cup cake classes to use. Now, where to get those cutters?

Jillian said...

My best friend is into baking and she's gonna have a baby shower, too! What are the odds that I can give her these cute baking tools plus the
baby bathers she's terribly fond of? Thank you!

Unknown said...

A caterer in sydney which my sister hired last year for her birthday celebration has has some of these with different shapes and sizes to form some awesome looking cupcakes and design sweets for cakes.