Thursday, September 9, 2010

Career Goals

Have you ever had "one of those days?" Where you're just freaking out about everything and nothing seems to go your way?

Feels like I've been having one of those weeks, at least as far as baking goes.

It started out with those peach cupcakes, which I really shouldn't complain about, because they are so delicious, but they're also terribly ugly.

Then I baked my brother's birthday cake, and the bottom tier is too short (so I'll have to bake another layer, which is more work for me) and the top tier sunk in the middle. (WHYYYY?!)

And if that weren't discouraging enough (seriously? Two sunken cakes!), I've been freaking out about bakeries. I know it's a little early to start thinking about it, since I'm still in school and not really in a position to run my own business right at this moment, but with all the business classes I'm taking, the enormity of being an entrepreneur is staring me right in the face.

I know, I know. I'm seriously whining right now, so feel free to just skip to the video at the bottom of this post and ignore my ridiculous ramblings.

I do wonder if my passion for baking is enough to carry over into a career. I'm talking "this is what I want to do for the rest of my life." That's big. I'm not aspiring to be the next  Nicholas Lodge, or Colette Peters, or Lori Hutchinson but I want to be successful.

And what is success? Obviously, making money, turning over a profit; that's a pretty good indication of success. I can't keep running a bakery if I don't have the funds to support it. More than that, though, I want to sell delicious, beautiful cakes that make people smile.


That's what it comes down to. I think hand-crafted, from-scratch, perfect detailed cakes makes people happy. And that, in turn, makes me happy. And then the whole world can be happy. And that, my friends, is success. :)
I just hope and pray that I can put my whole heart and soul, love and passion, into being a professional cake decorator/baker/business owner, and not let the statistics of failure or my own fears hold me back... that all these stupid business classes that have my head spinning will pay off in the end, and that (eventually) I'll come up with a name for the bakery too!

7 comments:

astheroshe said...

I'm sure you will be very successful! You are starting out with soo much passion for someone so young :)
Are you planning on going to culinary school, or are you already in school? It is a good foundation to have.

The bakery name will come..in time..you could always use your blog name?.. BEst of luck :)

Kelsie said...

Thank you! I'm working on my bachelor's degree right now in business management, but I'd like to go to culinary school after I graduate. I just need to find a program I like and that I can afford!

:)

Anonymous said...

Wait until you get 50 and have one of "those" days, talk about scary!

I know that money makes the world go 'round and yes you'll have to have it to keep things going, but how much money does a person really need to be happy? Do what you love, seriously, life is too short to waste it just existing, so do what you love to do, even if money is tight, you'll be much happier...take my word for it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouraging words, Sharon! :) You're completely right! :D

--Kelsie

Katelyn said...

I too have dreams of being owning a cake shop! I'm in the process of learning all the different decorating techniques. I've been wondering if I should take some business classes, but I would love to go to culinary art school because my love of cooking goes beyond baking. I just have no money to go lol I hope you're able to go somewhere! Keep it up!

Kelsie said...

Thanks Katelyn! And good luck to you as well! I know culinary school isn't cheap, but I'm sure it will be well worth it if we get to have careers that we love! :)

Thanks for following my blog, too!

Kelsie

Kelsie said...

Thanks Katelyn! And good luck to you as well! I know culinary school isn't cheap, but I'm sure it will be well worth it if we get to have careers that we love! :)

Thanks for following my blog, too!

Kelsie