Sunday, September 12, 2010

Awesome Cream Cheese Icing Recipe


Remember those fugly peach cupcakes that I made?

And how delicious they tasted?

Well, I guess you remember how I told you they were delicious, since I couldn't actually hand you a cupcake through the computer screen. (Which is a shame, because think of how much money we'd all save on shipping!)

Anyway, part of the deliciousness was attributed to the icing I used on top. It's a combination of whipped topping and cream cheese icing, in the best way possible.

I found the recipe on Allrecipes.com and I think the only thing I did differently was whipping the cream in a blender, since I used my stand mixer to mix the sugar & cream cheese. Also, I used plain ol' regular granulated sugar (extra fine granulated sugar, to be exact!) not confectionary/powdered sugar. I thought the recipe was a little ambiguous about that, since granulated and powdered sugar are both white.

Whipped Cream/Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients

  • 5 ounces cream cheese
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream


Directions

  1. In a small bowl (or blender) beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form; set aside.
  2. In a large bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, salt and vanilla. Beat until smooth, then fold in whipped cream.
When you're using the blender, just make sure you leave the center part of the lid off, so that air can be incorporated into the cream, don't overbeat (just pulse it for a few seconds at a time), and you'll know it's done when there are stiff peaks.

Finally, instead of folding in the whipped cream, I switched out my mixer's beater for the whisk and whisked it all together on a higher speed. The frosting was a terrible consistency if you were piping, but considering that I was just slapping it on with a spatula, it worked out perfectly. Don't forget it needs to be refrigerated!

The icing was an amazing complement for the fruity/cinnamony cupcakes I made, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if you need a light, not-too-sweet-or-overpowering frosting, this is the one to try! :)

Oh, and the recipe made enough for about 2 dozen cupcakes.

1 comment:

Tamesha said...

I wasn't aware of the many ripples and depth to this story until I surfed here through Google! Great job.


chocolate cake