Saturday, April 4, 2009

Golf Cake: Gone to the Dogs


I am crazy.

My father says that I have the "entrepreneurial spirit" but I think I just have a touch of insanity.

Allow me to explain.

My Spanish teacher (mi maestra de la clase de espanol) asked me if I wanted to make a cake for her husband's birthday (and she got a taste of my cakes, if you don't recall, at the Spanish Honor Society induction), and I said yes.

That was about a week ago, and I put it out of my mind because some extraneous things came up that I focused my time on.  Well, Wednesday night, I realized that I had a cake that needed to be baked.

Wednesday was a long day, if you didn't know.  Wednesdays are often referred to as "hump day" because its in the middle of the week, and I generally like Wednesdays.  It's all down hill from there.  But Wednesdays are also busy because my sister and I go to church, and we eat pizza, pray, and play volleyball with our fellow Catholic teens. :) It's a lot of fun.  But I'm getting off subject, we're talking about cake here not pizza...

OK. So. Wednesday.  I get home from church around 8:30 and I start to (finally) make this cake.  I got out all of the ingredients-- the big seven pound bag of powdered sugar, the four pounds of butter, the commeical sized bottle of vanilla extract... yes, we went to Costco last week.  And I proceeded to bake a cake, mix up a batch of buttercream, and make my own gumpaste (with some gum-tex and really sticky glucose).

And then our oven dies.  So two 9" cake layers, which normally take about 20 minutes to bake at 350 degrees, took almost an hour (if I'm exaggerating, it's really only a little bit), because the oven kept shutting off.  Sometimes the -F2- or -F3- alarm would sound, and sometimes it would just quietly shut off and I wouldn't even notice.  Argh.

Needless to say, I was quite annoyed at our oven (which you may have noticed if you ever check out my Tweets), but it gets worse.  Because when the cake finally came out of the oven, I got burned.  That's right: the oven gave me a second-degree burn.  It's not the first time, and I doubt it will be the last.  What's different is that this time, it was on my finger, when normal it's my forearm that gets scorched.  I currently have at least four noticable burn scars on my right arm from baking.

Thursday was not much better, as far as being busy goes.  I had a fieldtrip that day (to see Don Quijote and eat some tacos), and I was supposed to have a golf game, but it rained.  So I made a cake instead, or rather, I decorated it.

The little doggie, a Jack Russell Terrier, is all made from gumpaste. Which, by the way, I think is a lot of fun to play with, if not a little sticky.  (And now I really want this gumpaste tool set so I can have even more fun!)  The cake really didn't take that long to decorate, but I'm slow and lazy, so it took all afternoon and evening.  (And I had to take a break to eat Chinese food, too, of course!)  I did go to bed earlier last night than I did on Wednesday.

Finally, today, I delievered the cake.  And you would think, well that's that.  But no, I still had a busy day today:  a test in anatomy, a quiz in Spanish, a make-up test in English... and tonight I went to see my best friend in the play A Midsummer's Night Dream, which was amazing.

But this week is Spring Break (YAY!) so the plan is to sleep as much as possible so I can start all over again with my hectic life in 9 days. ;-)  I told you I'm crazy.

3 comments:

Amethyst Willow said...

That does sound a little crazy. I totally feel for you on the burns front. I have little burns all over my arms and mahusive one on the inside of my arm where a cake tin rolled *along* my arm as I slid it out of the oven it took a good two weeks to stop peeling. But finger ones are by far the worst so good luck with that one :)

Tracy P. said...

That is SUPER cute! I have a sympathy burn on my hand. OUCH!

reliv4life said...

I think the cake looks great! What did the spanish teacher say? Hope you heal quickly!!