Saturday, February 28, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake Recipe


I got this recipe from recipezaar.com thanks to April J.


Ingredients
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups flour, plus
  • 4 tablespoons flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions
  1. Beat butter and sugars together.
  2. Add eggs and vanilla.
  3. Mix flour, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar.
  4. Add dry ingredients to the batter and mix until well blended.
  5. Stir in chocolate chips.
  6. Spread dough into a 15 1/2 inch round pan.
  7. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
 This is a tried-and-true recipe which literally just came out of the oven.  I'm not sure how it tastes yet, but if it's anything like the cookie dough that I licked off the spatula, then it's delicious!

Some observations that I would like to add, in case you'd like to try this recipe:
  • When I make cookies (or pretty much anything, for that matter), I always bring the refrigerated stuff to room temperature first, unless otherwise noted in the recipe.  In this case, it means that I left the eggs and butter out on the counter for a while to warm up a bit.
  • I used a 9x13" cake pan, and the cookie cake turned out really thick-- much thicker than what you normally see at the supermarket.  This is just a practice cake for something I'm making next week, but I think I'll use my jelly roll pan, or use less dough.  I don't have the exact dimentions for the jelly roll pan, but it's bigger than the pan I used this time.
  • I sprayed the pan with Pam for Baking (which smells really good, by the way) before I put the dough in it.
  • The dough is really sticky, so I just greased up my hands (clean, washed hands, of course) and used my hands to spread the dough into the pan before I baked it.  It doesn't have to be completely flat either, just try to get it as level as possible.  No need for perfectionism :)
  • When baking, the dough did rise up a little along the edges more so than in the middle.  Just thought I'd make that observation, although it was just a little thing; no big deal.
  • I baked for 25 minutes, instead of 20, because I like my cookies to be golden brown.  I think they could've gone for another few minutes, but keep an eye out so that they don't burn if you choose to go this route.
  • After taking the cake out of the oven, I let it cool for 10 minutes, ran a knife around the pan's edges, and flipped the cake out onto a cooling rack covered with wax paper.
Personally, I love cookie cake, and I hope that I can recreate that cookie goodness that comes from Publix or Kroger and make an equally (or more) delicious home-made version.  I'll let you know how the rest of the cookie cake testing goes, and until then, maybe you can try your hand at this yummy recipe. :)

(That's a big cookie!)

8 comments:

Tracy P. said...

I'm drooling!!

reliv4life said...

I am totally gonna try this tomorrow! thanks!

The Cake Lady said...

You are very talented! I will keeping following to see your new work! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to try this for my four year old's bday on Friday!!! Does it cut well, like clean slices?? I'm trying to into sort of "puzzle pieces".....

-Jennifer
jje000@gmail.com

Thanks !!!!!

Christal said...

I am glad this recipe with tips is still here. I am a bit scared but my 8 yr old wants it for his Bday. So here goes. Thanks for the tips. They are very helpful.

Kelsie said...

Christal, glad I could help! It's a really easy recipe, so I'm sure you'll do great! :)

Christal said...

Great recipe! It was such a big hit as my kids bday that my hubby wants it for his bday this week. Here we go again. Thanks so much!

Kelsie said...

Yay! Glad to hear it worked out for you so well last time :)