Thursday, December 11, 2008

How to Make Your Cupcakes Moist

Like I referenced in my earlier post, cupcakes dry out faster than cakes because they don't have that layer of icing to seal in the moisture.  One way of making your cupcakes less dry is to add more liquid to the batter.  Some other tips that I picked up include:
  • Baking the cupcakes at a higher temperature for less time and take them out as soon as they're done-- not a minute later. (15 minutes at 375)
  • Make sure your batter isn't too heavy.
  • Put a small Pyrex dish with some water in the oven on the lowest rack while baking for added moisture.
  • Don't overbeat the batter! (This is true for regular cakes, too)
  • Use oil instead of butter.

My "chocolate with a twist" cupcakes are coming along really well, but they're not done yet.  Actually, they are super dry, which is why I made this post.  I think I'm just going to have to try, try again.

Oh well.  I forsee chocolate pineapple cake balls in the future.  Oops.  Did I just spoil the surprise? ;-P  Yes, I'm making chocolate pineapple cupcakes, because pineapple is my favorite fruit.  I just need to tweak the recipe around some more for Take II.  I also need to decide if I want to use pineapple buttercream or chocolate ganache for the icing...

In the meantime, I have a secret anniverary cake that I'm making for one of my friends.  It was pretty cool of him to ask me to make the cake for the occation. :)  Pictures of everything coming soon... (Sorry I'm not blogging much these days, but it will be easier after finals are through, I promise!)

4 comments:

reliv4life said...

Hey Kelsie! You probably already know this, but I have a couple of actual cupcake cookbooks with batter recipes - they do differ from cake recipes. You might pop into a bookstore and just look thru some books and you might find your secret to moistness? just a thought I am sure you know more than me!! Good luck!

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

looking forward to the finished product... stay tuned for my twist :)

Lyns said...

sounds yummy

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Great tips!