Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Happy 21st, Katye!

'Bout time I posted again!  I made that Margarita cake days ago and I'm just now getting around to blogging about it.  Well, I guess school did get the in way; that first week back is a doozy.  No excuses though, but I'm here now and I'm ready to talk some cake.

And what a cake this is!  I felt so honored that I was asked to make Katye's cake for her 21st birthday.  It was really cool of LeAnne and Aunt Juli to ask me.  I hope that the cake was good enough for such an important celebration.  Although, I think that it's safe to say that it was, because everyone did say that they loved it.  (And I did get a request for a November birthday cake too!)

The cake is a white cake with an extender recipe.  So there's more cake batter than a regular cake box.  (You know what's lame?  Wal-Mart sells low-fat yogurt in 8oz containers but Publix sells theirs in 6ox containers, so if I go to Publix, I need to buy 2 containers and I have leftover yogurt.  And no one eats plain yogurt at my house.) I also (because I have problems with humps in my cakes and my small 1.5" pans) divided up the batter into fourths so that I have four small-ish layers that were less humpy-ish.  As in flatter.  If that makes any sense.

The icing is just regular ol' buttercream.  If by "regular ol" I mean deliciously sweet. ;-)  The decorations are all marshmallow fondant colored various shades of pink and green.  (Which also happen to be Katye's favorite colors.)

This cake was my inspiration (as you can see here).  The pink margarita glass was supplied by LeAnne.  I didn't know that it was going to be pink, but I think that's really cool.  It tied in with the theme nicely!  Inside the glass (which is actually plastic; a good thing because glass would've been too heavy for the cake to support) is lime Jell-O that I beat up with a fork.  Did you know that they make a margarita flavored Jell-O?  Me neither.  Before I put the Jell-O in the glass, though, I put piping gel around the rim and then covered that with green sugar sprinkles... the margarita "salt."

Speaking of theme, did you see the tablecloth?  You know the best part about it is that LeAnne made it specifically for Katye's birthday.  She called it a prototype but I think that she did a great job and she's really talented.  Anyway, I know that's not really cake-related, but the tablecloth is really awesome, so I wanted to share that. :)

The cake was actually set up at their house, because I was afraid of it all falling apart during transportation.  Can you believe that it took 4 of us to make sure that the cake arrived safely?  I was afraid enough that the icing was going to melt in the August heat.  Thankfully, it didn't!  So once we got there, I put on the the glass and the fondant roses & leaves (with the help of some extra icing).  And the "21" candle, of course!

And so that was the cake that I made for Katye's 21st birthday party.  I hope that she has a fantastic year ahead of her and that she enjoyed her party!

6 comments:

Shea said...

Hi!
Long time lurker, first time commenter. I just had to say that came out pretty good. Very close to your concept drawing.
Great job!

reliv4life said...

Love the cake! It is fabulous - I have not been able to find marshmallow fondant here - where do you get yours? You are already back in school?? NO WAY!!

Anonymous said...

The cake turned out really cute!

If you have trouble with your cakes getting a hump in the middle, try baking strips. You can find them in the cake aisle at places like Michael's. They are long and silver, I think you soak them in water and then wrap them around the pans. My friend swears by them.

You can also buy a cake leveler to cut the hump off evenly.

Leah said...

WOW! I am so impressed. I wish I had that talent. Here I was thinking I'd done an awesome job on the pirate cake I made for my son's 4th birthday party, but your cake totally blows mine out of the water (except your doesn't have cannons and mine did! ha ha ha!)

I'll bet the birthday girl was very pleased and very touched that you spent the time doing that for her.

Anj. Ü said...

This cake is perfect. :D

I bet Katye loved it.A lot. :))

The design is very,very good. 8D

encantadora said...

I've tried to do cakes, and failed misserably. Kudos to the cuteness here! It's so pretty.