Friday, May 30, 2008

Chocolate Cake: To DIE FOR

Okay, so I don't remember if I've posted this recipe before (my sister says I have but whatever), but I'm going to post it again. THIS IS THE TASTIEST CHOCOLATE CAKE EVER.
After letting the cake cool for a few minutes, remove (carefully!) from the pan and wrap up in saran wrap (lots of it). Cool the cake some more, and you can freeze it if you want.
Just let the cake thaw before icing it (so no condensation) and it is so moist and chocolately and delicious!

This is from chocomama on cakecentral.com. I just made this cake yesterday and I'm delivering it tomorrow. I'm almost done with the FBCT and and rest of the icing.

Dark Chocolate Cake

Serves/Yields:
Prep. Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 40 min.
Category: Chocolate Cakes
Difficulty: Easy

Introduction

This is the BEST scratch cake I have ever made! I received lots of compliments on it the first time I made it and plan to use it again and again. Enjoy!

Ingredients

2 cups granulated sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cups cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Directions

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Grease and flour two 9in pans or one 13x9in pan
3. In a large mixing bowl, stir together dry ingredients
4. Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes
5. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour into pans
6. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
7. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks

Just remember to be careful when you boil the water. I got a steam burn on 3 (3!) of my fingers when I did that step. It really stung for the entire day but I'm okay now. Hand washing was not fun, however, after that painful fiasco.

(P.S. Morgan- let me know about your b-day cake. Katie was telling me that you wanted one for later next month. I'd be happy to make it if you want me to, so just keep me posted)

6 comments:

ahmad wiyono said...

yummy...

Golden Calf said...

Sounds delicious, I'll definately try that recipe for some cupcakes I'm making!

Golden Calf said...

ps: Yay! A fellow Ace of Cakes Lover!

Anj. Ü said...

I think you did post this before.xD

I remember the Introduction. :D

Sounds yummy. ^-^

Savannah said...

I tried it for a "test" father's day cake and with a recipe for frosting on the back of the cocoa box. It was so yummy!!!

Lauren said...

I hope you get comment notifications. Just wanted to let you know that I have been subscribed to your blog for quite a while now and ever since you posted this recipe I've been dying to try it. I made it this weekend and it's definitely the best cake I've ever had...I don't even like cake! I used an icing I found in a cookbook of mine in which you just take 2c sour cream and beat it with 1 bag of melted chocolate chips. It was absolutely amazing. One question though...I tried using two round 9" pans and the layers were way too thin...could I just do one 9" pan?