Thursday, April 17, 2008

"It's not just lemon with lime"


Here for your cookie enjoyment today is my recipe for my lemon-lime icebox cookies... "Sprites" (with an "S" No copyright infringement... right?) The original recipe can be found here at about.com (Thank you, Diana Rattray!)

LEMON-LIME ICEBOX COOKIES A.K.A. SPRITES

INGREDIENTS:

  • 6 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • dash of salt
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 cup (12 ounces) butter, room temperature
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon peel
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons finely grated lime peel
  • Yellow food coloring
  • Green food coloring

PREPARATION:

1. In a mixing bowl, stir together the half of the flour, baking soda and salt.
2.In a separate bowl, beat together 1 cup of the sugar with the butter until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in the 1 egg, lemon juice and zest, then gradually blend in the flour mixture. 4. Add a few drops of yellow food coloring and mix it in.
5. Repeat first 2 steps. For step #3, use lime, not lemon, juice and zest. For step #4, use green food coloring.
6. Take some of the green dough, and some of the yellow dough, and squish it together so that the colors mix-- but not too much, because you still want to see the difference in colors.
7. Form the dough into 4 rolls about 2 inches wide and 7 inches long. Wrap the rolls in waxed paper and refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
8. Preheat the oven to 375°.
9. Unwrap the cookie dough and cut into slices about 1/4-inch thick. Sprinkle slices lightly with remaining sugar and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
10. Bake until lightly browned around the edges, about 12 minutes.
11. Cool the cookies on a rack and store in an airtight container.
12. EAT THEM!! :-)

(The original recipe made about 5 to 6 dozen cookies, so this recipe will supposedly make about 12 dozen cookies, but I didn't cut my dough to 1/4 ", my cookies were much thicker than that. My mom would've liked them thinner, so it's really a personal preference. The thinner you make them, though, the more you will have, and the more you can eat without feeling guilty... :) )


Well, there you have it. My doctored recipe for lemon-lime icebox cookies. And as my friend Hillary said: "And how you managed to make your cookie taste like sprite, I will never know. That commercial about "It's not just lemon with lime"...you must have cracked that secret." :)

2 comments:

reliv4life said...

Kelsie - I made these cookies today, kinda!! I hope it doesn't offend you I changed it up a bit... first of all, I had lemons but not limes so, I did all lemon. Secondly, I am impatient, so I didn't roll them and refridgerate them, I just used my small scoop and put them on the cookie sheet. They were GREAT! My kids loved them!! They were soft on the inside and crispy on the outside... YUM!! Thanks!!!

Robin said...

Kelsie, yum! These sounds so de-lish! Next time I'm at the store, I'm going to pick up the ingredients and bake for the kids! Love your blog girl..Keep up the good work!!!