Sunday, March 30, 2008

I think I'll Make Petit Fours

After I baked Katie's birthday day, I realized that I had some extra cake batter. What better to do with this extra cake than to bake it in a square pan, cool the cake, cut it into 1" squares, and freeze? Because what's better than petit fours?

I made a practice one with raspberry preserves and rolled fondant, with mixed results. I really liked the taste of the raspberry, but the fondant was just too sweet. Marshmallow fondant is good, but I don't think I could really eat more than a taste of it.

So I've been thinking, and doing some research, and I've come to the conclusion that I will pour dark chocolate over the petit fours, instead of fondant. I thought about white chocolate, but honestly I can't stand the stuff. Dark chocolate, however, is a different story.

In my research, I discovered that petit fours can cost as much as $2.50, and that Godiva petit fours look mouth-wateringly good. They can be easy to make, or finicky, and that there is a variety of ways to make them. All of this information was just so overwhelming!

The frozen cake is still in the freezer, but when I get a spare moment, I will certainly take the time to make these tasty little treats, and I hope that they taste as good as they look! (I also hope that the petit fours that I make will actually look good!)

11 comments:

ujungsenja said...

give me a piece of that.

queen of everything said...

i can't wait to hear and see how they turned out.

Sara said...

I love cakes, and you sound like an awesome baker! Check out my blog, and post a comment?

blogofarealgirl.blogspot.com

-Sara

reliv4life said...

I have never made petit fours...as much as I enjoy making cupcakes, maybe I should try them...let me know what recipe you end up using and how they taste, ok? I am not crazy about dark chocolate, but my oldest, she is also 16, LOVES dark chocolate - good for you girls - it is very healthy!

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

I've always wanted to make Petit Fours too but never had the guts. I'd love to hear how they turn out.

SheR. said...

Hello! How about a Charlotte Royale? Nice swiss roll exterior and a bavarois interior. Looks posh and extremely tasty! You can fill it with ice cream if you wish!!
Truffles made from cake crumbs will be a nice little treat too!
Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Thanks! great blog!

Provoking Puppet said...

I tried to make petit fours, it was awhile back and 'my skills' weren't quite up for the challenge yet. But petit fours are one of my favorite desserts, good luck and can't wait to hear how they turn out :-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Much credit to you for tackling petit fours - I've always wanted to but have yet to have the courage as I'm fearful I will wind up with quite the mess...but I think you've given me a little more motivation, so thanks!

Anonymous said...

I agree on the white chocolate 100%. Give me milk/dark chocolate any day.